Our schools create an educational choice for all students. Our staff connects with students to empower and inspire them to achieve their goals and make their dreams a reality
History of The Program
OPPORTUNITIES FOR LEARNING PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLS (OFLPCS) is a nonprofit, public benefit corporation specializing in developing and implementing programs that expand educational opportunities for public school children. OFLPCS has provided such programs to school districts since 1999 and is one of the nation’s oldest providers of outsourced educational programs to public schools. OFLPCS has worked with numerous school districts, including the nation’s largest, and has served more than 50,000 students. OFLPCS’s programs are patterned after the success of its Victor Valley charter school, the first start-up charter school in California to receive accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Burbank, San Gabriel, San Juan, San Bernardino and Hermosa Beach charter schools have also received WASC accreditation.
OFLPCS offers a hybrid independent study/small group instruction/online format as an alternative to a classroom program. Students who have not been successful or satisfied with their experience in traditional schools can achieve in the program. OFLPCS combines individualized learning plans with self-esteem and leadership development, as well as a rigorous college-preparatory curriculum to ensure that all students, regardless of their school experiences in the past, can graduate high school with a solid post-secondary plan. Students are enrolled in courses leading toward a high school diploma or re-entry at grade level in a comprehensive or alternative schoolprogram. Enrollment in the program is voluntary. OFLPCS provides students with the opportunity to: (a) learn at home and in the learning center in small groups and one-on-one with qualified tutors and instructors, (b) complete courses in core and elective subjects, and (c) receive career and academic counseling.
OFLPCS is dedicated to providing quality educational services to students and their families. The unique features of the program include:
• Open Entry – A student can enroll virtually any weekday of the year. No need to wait for a class or semester to start.
• Continuous Learning – OFLPCS operates year round. No long vacations to interrupt the learning process.
• Individualized Programs to Accommodate Student Needs – Scheduled appointments afford students increased flexibility to meet work and family commitments while still satisfying program requirements.
• Criterion-Based Learning – In core subjects, only material that has not been mastered is required. Learning is focused on the specific skills needed to achieve maximum advancement in minimum time.
• Subject Matter Concentration – Taking fewer classes at a time allows for greater focus on core subjects and better retention of content knowledge.
• Launchpad Environment – OFLPCS is committed to offering students a “launchpad” rather than destination environment. Instead of focusing on high school graduation as the final destination for students, Student Advisors and teachers help guide students to create individualized learning plans with a comprehensive post-secondary plan (whether
attending a 2- or 4-year college, vocational training, or career planning).
Opportunities For Learning Public Charter Schools does not discriminate against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, disability, and/or any other status protected by law, in any of its policies, procedures, or practices in compliance with, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, 34 CFR Section 104.4(b)(3), and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008.